Sunday, November 2, 2008

Sermon To Myself About The Coming Election

By John Stallings


If you’re a regular reader of my blog you know that I’ve been taking the coming presidential election very seriously.

So much so, that I’ve allowed myself to get into “election overload” lately. God has spoken to my heart & I wanted to post one more blog before the big day & share what He’s given me, trusting it will help some of you who may feel as I do.

I won’t go in to all the reasons the coming election is so crucial; I’m sure you are as aware of that as I am.

I’ve been an “election junkie” for the last almost thirty years & have become more intensely passionate about the way things are going since the early nineties. I realize many of you share that intensity no matter what side of the partisan fence you may be on.

THIS ISN’T A “CONCESSION” MESSAGE

Despite the clandestine activities of the liberal media, prayer can pull McCain/Palin across the finish line in what could well be a “photo-finish.”

During the last few months I’ve prayed-- almost without ceasing, given money, voted, preached, written blogs as well as letters to the president & congressmen & anything else I could do short of wearing a sandwich-board sign & parading down the street.

We can’t escape the talking-heads on radio & television telling us that this is probably the most important election of our lives indeed it has the potential of being apocalyptic.

I think we would all agree that given the “financial Tsunami” our country is going through, it isn’t over-stating the case to say the stakes in this election are VERY high.


I’ve been sickened with the double standard on display in the press as they have dripped contempt all over Sarah Palin while exhibiting fawning indulgence to Joe Biden.

I’ve just about had it with the so-called news -men who skin Sarah Palin alive every chance they get, while turning a deaf ear to Joe Biden when he says things that would have embarrassed Forest Gump.

We’ve all watched the news-people set traps for Sarah & tell outright lies about she & her family while the likes of George Stephanopoulos won’t let Obama’s statement “My Muslim religion” stand,- correcting the statement for him right on the spot.

And so, as I pondered what to write, & more importantly what we all need to hear right now, I could think of nothing better than to share what God has preached to my heart.

I need to take a deep breath & be reminded that we’re all in God’s hands & that whatever happens, we'll be hidden with Christ in God & our lives will still be in the hands of a never-changing, eternally loving, gracious Father who is sovereign & who will reign supreme & work out His eternal will no matter who walks into the Oval office early next year.

I need to remind myself that light will always overcome darkness just as in Christ, life will ultimately overcome death.

I need to remind myself that far more important than seeing my candidate triumph, I must continue to be a repairer of the breach & continue to fight the fight of faith.

I need to rest in God & find my strength in Him who has promised to never leave or forsake me & accept what comes & keep going.

I need to “hand-off the heaviness” to God because He can carry it. I can’t & I don’t have to.

I need to remind myself that even though the stars fall I can find victory in He who attends the funerals of sparrows & surely, come what may, He can give to me a supple spirit & a singing heart.

So I am calm & I’m accomplishing it one day at a time by continuing to live in that peaceful center, my life in God.

I trust & pray that this will be useful to anyone who’s been suffering from “election overload” or maybe “concern overload.”

When my heart is breaking with grief & sorrow; when my mind is almost numb from trying to answer questions that are beyond my capacity to comprehend; when evil seems to triumph; when goodness & decency are being trampled in the dust; when sneering faces mock me or ugly voices ask; "Where is your God?"....I go to the cross. I remember how they mocked Him. I remember how they hurt Him.
I remember how He died.


I see the dignity of His spirit. I see the strenght of one who says: "Nothing you do to me can destroy my life or my love. Nothing you can do can defeat my fathers plan." I remember His passion. And I say to those who would mock our faith or ridicule our God: This is where I take my stand: beneath the cross of Jesus. I believe and trust in the One who gave His life & love for the whole world & for me. I place my faith in the One who rose from the dead & pushed back the stone on Easter morning!


I trust the promises of the One who said: I will be with you always.

However this election turns out there will be much work to do & we’ll all need to stay engaged in life with a hopeful spirit remembering always that we serve the man who saw the troubled waters congeal under his feet & we’re floating on the great river of God’s grace.


EVERY BLESSING,


John

No comments: