Monday, May 21, 2007

AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT BUSH

From John Stallings

Dear Mr. Bush.

Good morning sir.

I’m not involved in politics in any way, but have been engaged in gospel ministry for over 40 years. To give you a little background; to my embarrassment, I never voted in a national election until 1980 when I stood in a long line, not so much to vote for Ronald Reagan as to vote against Jimmy Carter. My excuse for not voting before was that I was an evangelist for several decades traveling so much it just never seemed to be convenient. That’s more of an excuse than a reason.

For reasons that would take too long to list, I’ve felt since you were first elected that you were God’s man “for such a time as this.” I’ve said many times that you are “the burning Bush” we needed as our national leader entering the new millennium. I commend you on the admirable commitment to war on terror, & the great measures you’ve taken to protect this nation. The protracted trial of Moussaoui that recently ended shows how clogged our courts would be had we looked at the 9/11 attacks as law enforcement issues as your rival John Kerry advocated, rather than declaring all-out war on terrorism. Thanks again for your great leadership in that regard.


I’m sure you don’t need to be reminded of the jaundiced way you are viewed by the liberal media, the “lefties” & the Hollywood types. I hope & pray that you don’t take it personally & will continue to let it roll off your back like Reagan did. But Mr. President, I implore you to listen carefully to what I have to say.

With gas prices close to $3 a gallon, I know you are thinking soberly about the impact that makes on a family barely getting by in this economy. Though I deplore the high prices, I am one who can still differentiate between the “cost” of a gallon of gas & the “value” of a gallon of gas. For instance a gallon of gas can do more for me than a gallon of Coca Cola which I’m sure would cost about the same. On the other hand that gallon of gas in most people’s lives is much more vital than the Coke would be. As you well know all politicians have to take a close look at “the man in the mirror,” & own up to their role in making gas more expensive. I am also aware that the boutique fuels (perhaps as many as 55) tailored because the environmentalist’s demand it, impact the price at the pump. I also know that there hasn’t been a refinery built in this country since 1976 & this is in great part because regulations & restrictions have stopped companies from building them.

I’ve written extensively on the question of the protection of our borders. I’m sure you know that what’s happening there is unprecedented, not just in our own history but in the history of the world. I’m no stranger to the border between Mexico & America & over the years have visited it many times. I’ve also been to Israel several times & know well the precautions they have in place there. I’ve sat on airplanes for extended stretches while Israeli soldiers, men & women with automatic rifles strapped to their shoulders walked the isles of the plane peering deeply into the eyes of each passenger. I never had a problem with that protocol; as a matter of fact I respected it immensely. But no country to my knowledge has ever had the experience of having this great an influx of tens of millions of foreigners across its borders. As you well know our borders are at present out of control. Mr. President, this is AN INVASION MASQUERADING AS IMMIGRATION.

It seems like vigilance will be needed to avoid the future annexation of the Southwest by Mexico. While this isn’t an original idea with me, might I suggest that we take a hard look at Mexico’s law regarding aliens entering their country? This set of laws has been freely passed around the internet & most people are aware of their stridency. If we adopted the harshness of the laws of the very people who are trampling our law underfoot, we’d stop their transgressions in a heartbeat. Perhaps your friend Vicente Fox wouldn’t approve but certainly two can play the same game. Mr. President, it’s my position that all God’s children are the same in His eyes; He loves us all & expects us to love each other. But these people south of our border seem to feel justified in making this land their own, when they broke down the doors & came in illegally. My reading of the national mood is that in the main, people don’t like what is taking place on our borders; indeed in excess of 75% of Americans highly resent it & will soon make their wrath known at ballot boxes. The idea that these aliens do a job that American’s won’t do isn’t exactly correct; it would be more accurate to say American’s don’t want to do those jobs for $2 an hour.

Some people think your presidency will be undone by the war in Iraq. I don’t think so. I’ve stood behind you on that war & feel it will redound to spreading freedom in a part of the world that desperately craves it. My concern for you is something different. I feel you’ll be seen in years to come as the president who “saved or lost” the Southwest of the United States. Though I’ve never met you I think your heartbeat is that our borders should be open so goods & people can move freely back & forth for the benefit of all. Though this sounds good, Mr. President, I believe it to be a “pie in the sky” ideal that must be discarded before it’s too late. I don’t question for a moment your integrity or good intentions but the moment has arrived to do something meaningful to solve the problem & to defend our borders. To hear some of our Senators speak on this subject you’d think they were elected in Mexico or for that matter any country on the globe except America. What I hear coming out of Washington as remedies to the situation sounds more like it was drafted by bureaucrats at the United Nations than by representatives of the United States. It’s shocking to me that our lawmakers who are in a position to know what’s happening are the least cognizant of the terrible impact of illegal immigration.

In my assessment of the American scene it’s clear(at least to me) that if the upcoming elections put a majority of Democrats in the House & Senate, your last years in office will be, by the Democrats own admission, plagued by hearings, investigations & in all likelihood, an attempt at impeachment. This, as I’ve often heard you say is “politics.” The most casual observer can see that, barring a miracle, the disenchantment among many Republicans, conservatives, independents & indeed many Reagan Democrats is going to lead to a monumental defeat for your party at the polls in November. You will then be pressured to start cutting off funds for the war against terrorism for which so many of our precious young people have already paid the ultimate price. Then we Americans will have to again endure the humiliation of seeing another defeat like the withdrawal from Vietnam. We will then be forced at some future time to dedicate another monument to brave men who gave their lives for honor, country & a lost cause.

One last thing; as regards this immigration debacle; where is the concern among our leaders for American schoolchildren forced to sit in overcrowded classes, for American patients forced to wait in overcrowded hospitals, for American workers whose wages are being undercut, for American drivers forced to sit in unbelievable traffic jams in over-whelmed freeway systems, for the victims of organized gangs, for the American college students who are turned away from publicly funded state universities, for the American taxpayers who have to bear the burden of billions of dollars in increased welfare costs, over-burdened prisons, extra police & security & even adding to the injury, for bilingual education.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that “no child should be left behind” but when all these desperately poor illegal workers are flooding the market, aren’t they also making the future bleak for high school & college graduates by depressing what they can look forward to in future wages? Mr. President, please do the right thing & insist that these aliens abide by our laws. You’ll have to take some more abuse, but you should be used to that by now. These people seem to already think they own this country, & obviously think the rest of us should sit down & shut -up. But to ignore this problem & leave it to the next generation I feel will lead us to the brink of national suicide.

You have a unique opportunity to make the Republican Party a whole party again & return it to the party of Ronald Reagan. Please think & pray hard & long about what you do regarding the aforementioned issues. Millions of Americans will be with you as you grab this problem by the horns. Your actions will speak loud & clear. Not only will you see your polls numbers turn around dramatically, you’ll save your country. Conversely, lack of immediate positive action to plug up the holes in our borders & insist that these people come into our country in a respectful & regimented fashion is, in my view going to further erode support among the people for your presidency. Multitudes of us who voted for you & witnessed your strong beginnings, covet for you just as strong a finish.

We love you very much & will continue to pray for you & Lora each & every day that God will continue to bless & keep you, as well as grant you wisdom that one hundred years of experience could never give you.

Respectfully,


John A. Stallings

No comments: